Favorited ex.fm Songs

Monday, January 9, 2012

Freak Out, freak out, freak out!

I needed to take a little bit of time off to reboot after all of the album of the year posts, but the blogging bug hit me tonight, so I'm back with my first post of 2012.

I hope everyone has had a wonderful year thus far. Hopefully not too many resolutions have been blown yet. I was feeling in a pretty good mood tonight, so I wanted to pick an upbeat song to write about. We aren't too far removed from 2011 yet, so I went to my playlist of songs released in 2011 and sorted by play count. Most of the names that popped up near the top were artists I've spent plenty of time talking about like Middle Brother, The Decemberists, and Bon Iver. However, one song stuck out as a track that I had listened to almost 20 times despite not having heard the rest of the album or mentioning this track at any point on the blog (although I remember planning to write a post about it several months back).

Well that was the infectious indie rock track "Freak Out" by Tapes 'n Tapes. I actually recall the band getting a lot of publicity (at least in the online circles I was following) around the time of their 2005 release "The Loon," but they were never a band I really latched onto. Given that the band is from Minnesota (and apparently formed at Carlton College), you'd think I would have given them more of a chance, but they were mostly off my radar again until early this past year. I remember hearing "Freak Out" sometime last year and actually listening to it several times in a row marveling over how fun and catchy it was. Why that never translated to me seeking out the rest of the album or thinking much about the track for the rest of the year is beyond me, but it is better late than never. Therefore, I'm making my first resolution of 2012 (I never make them around New Years, so this will have to do) to spend some time listening to their album "Outside." My early impressions while writing this are definitely positive.

I don't have any insight to add to the band or the song as I'm mostly discovering them now. The song is just a fun, upbeat, catchy indie rock tune, so check it out below and hopefully you'll enjoy it too!

Freak Out by tapesntapes

No comments:

Post a Comment