Favorited ex.fm Songs

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Is there a ghost in my house?

I've been watching a lot of the TV show Fringe lately. I had started watching the show when it first came on, but I lost interest about halfway through the first season. Since then, I heard from numerous people that the show got way better after the first season, so I decided to start with season 2 and take another crack at it. Boy am I glad I did! I just finished the season 2 today, and I am ridiculously hooked.

What does any of this have to do with a music blog? Well a few episodes back, the storyline involved (tangentially) a waitress at a diner that served lots of truck drivers and people passing through from point A to point B. For the regulars, she would make them mix CDs to help them pass the time on the road. I love the idea and would love to frequent any place where this actually happened. Anyhow, one of the main characters in the show stopped at the diner, and he convinced the waitress to make him one too. Without going too much into what happened the rest of the episode, when he finally got the CD and laid on the bed to listen to it, the first song was "Is There A Ghost?" by Band of Horses.

Some people may recognize the band's sound from a few of their songs being featured in TV shows, movies, or commercials. This song is a sort of haunting sounding indie rock song. It may carry the distinction of the best song that employs only 14 words, as the phrase "I could sleep when I lived alone. Is there a ghost in my house?" is repeated in some way over and over throughout the song. Honestly, I had hardly noticed that fact though because it is just a really well done song. The band ended up kinda losing me with their most recent release, but their 2007 album Cease To Begin that this song is from is a really good album top to bottom. Two other stand-out tracks from the album are "No One's Gonna Love You" and "Detlef Schrempf." How can you not love a band that names a song, for no apparent reason, after a random NBA player (who happens to share my birthday) from the 80s and 90s?

Below is the music video for the song. It involves a woman breaking into houses and stealing pillows from people in the middle of the night.



"No One's Gonna Love You" is available to download for free from Amazon here. I actually might like that one better, so I recommend grabbing it if you don't have it yet.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment