Favorited ex.fm Songs

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Musical globetrotting - Lasse Passage, Franny & Zooey, and Blood Relatives

 Lately, I've been finding a lot of music I really enjoy from artists all over the world so I thought I'd do another "musical globetrotting" post.


I stumbled upon Scotland's Blood Relatives by accident. I was listening to a new song by Meursault on Soundcloud and got distracted. Instead of stopping and finding something else to listen to, Soundcloud started playing recommendations based on that song. A couple songs later, "Dead Hip" by Blood Relatives began, and the band's catchy and danceable indie pop grabbed my attention. They released their debut album, "Deerheart,"last October.



I've found myself being drawn to a lot of Scandinavian artists (First Aid Kit, Tallest Man On Earth, Indianna Dawn, etc.), so I started following the music blog allscandinavian.com. Most recently, they introduced me to the Norwegian artist Lasse Passage. He is in the process of releasing four EPs by May. His first, "Stop Making Sense and Start Making Success, Vol. 1" was released in January, and has me excited for the next three (of which I can presumably guess the titles). His music is hard to place in a single genre, but maybe alt-folk could match closest. Regardless, Lasse Passage is an artist I intend to keep an ear on in the future. If you have Spotify, go check out the whole album, otherwise here's a small taste:



Juan Julio Peña and Victoria Linares hail from the Dominican Republic and makeup the twee pop duo Franny & Zooey. The two certainly don't hide their affinity for J.D. Salinger. The band name comes from Salinger's book of that name, and their "Bananafish EP" from last year take its name from the Salinger short story, "A Perfect Day For Bananafish." You can stream/download the track "Like In Movies" below, and if you like that, head to the duo's Bandcamp page for another free track or to buy their EP.


No comments:

Post a Comment