Favorited ex.fm Songs

Friday, May 4, 2012

This week in music (Week of 5/1/2012)

New release of the Week - Body Faucet by Reptar

Reptar are anything but your normal band. For one thing, they are named after a dinosaur from the TV show Rugrats (seen on the right). According to the "about the artist" section on Amazon, they originally wanted to go with "Invisible Boyfriend" as a band name but were told it was the stupidest name ever. Thus they settled on Reptar because "It is the second stupidest band name we have ever heard." Body Faucet is a lot more poppy and full of infectious sing-a-long hooks than most of the music I listen to, but I just can't stop listening to this album. It feels like perfect music to soundtrack the summer, and I have a feeling I'll be listening to this album a ton as the weather gets warmer. I've also noticed that they are playing at Sasquatch Music Festival at the end of the month, and I can't wait to see what kind of live show they have. You can check out the lead track from the album below:




Other notable releases

This week has surprisingly turned into a fantastic week for new music. That Reptar album is actually only one of three albums that came out on Tuesday that has been soundtracking my final week of the semester.

Nick Waterhouse is another artist (like JD McPherson two weeks ago) who is making music that sounds like it could have come out just as easily 50 years ago. His debut album, Time's All Gone, is a fantastic debut for the 25 year old (it's always simultaneously impressive and depressing when people younger than me are making such great and timeless sounding music). I'll let the music speak for itself:



Also out this week is Fear Fun by Father John Misty (aka J. Tillman, aka the former drummer of Fleet Foxes). I first heard the song "Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings" when he released a video for it a few weeks ago that featured Aubrey Plaza from Parks and Recreation. As much as I wanted to like it, that song really didn't do much for me, so I didn't really expect to like the album, but that changed as soon as I heard it. A lot of the album has sort of a classic country feel (with hints of Fleet Foxes) that just keeps growing on me more and more with each listen. I would not be surprised if all three of the albums mentioned this week end up relatively high on my best albums of the year list. The first week of May has set the bar high! You can stream the whole Father John Misty album here (which I highly recommend you do), or check out one of the songs below:




Miscellaneous News and Notes

* I've been busy most of the week with school work, so I don't have much for this section, but I thought I'd mention that Jack White's album Blunderbuss is starting to grow on me after a couple listens. I'm guessing a lot of other people are enjoying it too because it is his first album ever to reach #1 on the Billboard charts.

No comments:

Post a Comment