Favorited ex.fm Songs

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Song/Video of the Day: Explosions in the Sky - Postcard From 1952

The posting here has been pretty non-existent thanks to first my computer dying for a week and then all aspects of life teaming up to make me extra busy. I'm working on a post recapping the first third of 2013, but in the meantime I thought I'd write something quick.

One of the current things making my life busy is a presentation I'm working on for a class. Reading and processing statistics papers doesn't work too well when listening to music with lyrics, so one of my go to artists in these cases is Explosions in the Sky. I wanted to post the song "Your Hand In Mine," which came on while I was working this afternoon, but apparently I already posted it here. Instead, here's a song called "Postcard From 1952" off of the band's most recent release. The video is a collection of moments and life events that might have been included on a postcard from that year. Like many of the band's songs, it takes a while to build, but the payoff is worth it. I know guitar driven instrumental post-rock isn't for everyone, but I highly recommend spending some time with Explosions in the Sky. The quiet moments before the build up tend to put me in a place of perfect contentment where nothing else seems to matter. I love walking around in cool weather, just zoned out listening to them. When the sound starts to swell, the epic nature of it makes me feel on top of the world and like anything is possible. I made a comment on Twitter the other day that I wanted to nominate Japandroids for "band that most makes you feel like you can do anything." I'd also have to add Explosions in the Sky to that list now. Any other suggestions?

Anyhow, I'm off to continue being busy. Enjoy the video:




Interested in checking out Explosions in the Sky?

Band website
Facebook
Twitter

Or just watch the wonderful Friday Night Lights TV show, which they soundtracked

No comments:

Post a Comment