Favorited ex.fm Songs

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Two weeks off seems like plenty

Sometimes it is hard to find time for this blogging thing. I figured Spring Break would be conducive to getting a bunch of posts written, but clearly that didn't happen.

One of the artists I've been meaning to write about for several weeks now is the Smith Westerns. Today only, Amazon is selling their 2011 album Dye It Blonde for only $3, so this seems like as good a time as any to finally get around to it. The band received a lot of buzz on various music blogs and garnered a bunch of positive album reviews from sites like Pitchfork, Paste Magazine, and The Onion's AV Club when their album came out, which is what led me to check them out. I didn't immediately warm up to the album, but repeated listens have really paid off as it's one of the few albums from this (admittedly young) year that I keep going back to.

For me, the first track on the album, Weekend, starts about as well as any album can kick off. Every time I listen to it, I love that guitar lick that really gets things going and gets me pumped for what is to follow. The sound of the band is pretty constant throughout, with not a lot of variation, but they do what they do well. Other highlights are the songs "All Die Young" and "Dance Away." Below is the official music video for the previously mentioned "Weekend":



As I mentioned, today only, their album Dye It Blonde is available for $2.99 here, so if you don't have the album yet, hurry up!

No comments:

Post a Comment